Friday, May 12, 2006

Back in The Netherlands for Some Days

There and back again. Wednesday night I returned from a short but busy trip to Groningen, where I stayed at my parents's place. Besides of being perhaps rather windy, the weather has been invigorating, giving me the possibility to bike back and forth to the university almost every day. At least my face and my arms are now not as white as they were ten days ago, and it even seems that my endurance is gradually increasing from a minimum in which it resided for several months. This was due to a persevering flu and probably also due to a high level of stress in all the things I was doing: finishing my master thesis in mathematics, doing the course evaluations, arranging all the documents for my PhD application, arranging my trip to Japan, moving to Oslo, learning Norwegian, etc. And of course the fear that one of these things wouldn't work out. Basically I am just very greedy.

When you are applying for a position you need to obtain many "official documents," that is, documents with a signature. Often things you have done in the past are not even taken into consideration if you don't attach something that makes it official. So one should figure out what documents one needs, and then try to get a hold of the people for the signatures. These people were very nice by the way, but I just don't really like to make so many requests...

Most important of all, I finished my master thesis. Last week on Wednesday I had the discussion with my supervisors, and on Thursday I subscribed to the diploma ceremony, which will take place the 12th of June, 16:30 at the Academiegebouw, Senaatskamer in Groningen. I am so glad I finally finished my thesis. It is written in the dirtiest TeX-code I have written so far. It doesn't even compile, because of more than twenty errors for which I did not have the time/patience to fix. Anyway, stubbornly ignoring all the error messages in pdflatex gave me the following documents: a pdf-file suitable for printing and a pdf-file suitable for reading on the screen. A preprint of a corresponding article is sent to Indagationes Mathematicae.

It was really nice to see my family and so many of my friends again. Twice I stayed over at Laurens's place so that I didn't need to bike back to my parents late at night. Together with Laurens, Edwin and Ramon we barbecued on Friday the 5th, the Dutch Liberation Day. That was really cozy. Monday I ate diner with Maarten and Johan, and Tuesday we ate diner and drank a beer with Wicher, whom I haven't seen for almost a year because he studied in Italy. Although it was really nice to see my family and friends again, I missed Annett a lot. It is good to be back home. In Oslo, that is. :)

4 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Laurens said...

Nou, blij dat je weer veilig thuis bent!

 
At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Edwin said...

Hee, waarom word ik niet genoemd in het dankwoord, en die matige informaticastudent van een Laurens wel??! Zonder mij was je nooit wiskunde gaan studeren. Ik voel me diep gekrenkt. Ik ga je nu schrappen als mede-auteur van mijn artikel over de wet van de gekke getallen.

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Georg Muntingh said...

Het spijt me te horen dat je me gaat schrappen als mede-auteur, maar ik kijk uit naar je artikel Edwin! :)

 
At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Edwin said...

Het artikel is al onderweg naar de Indagationes Mathematicae. Hopelijk wordt het gelijk geplaatst!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home