Friday, August 24, 2007

Wikizine


Wikipedia is one of my long term interests. In January 2002 my brother introduced me to Wikipedia, and I started editing and creating some articles. Back then there were only 20,000 articles in the English version! Later I translated some articles between the Dutch, English and Norwegian Wikipedia's.

Although I have never been a major contributor, I did spend some time following its progress. Especially the first couple of years it was very exciting to follow the explosive growth of Wikipedia. I remember one summer holiday week doing nothing else but reading on Meta-Wiki on ideas that were being realized on each of the Wikimedia chapters. In 2005 I even visited the first Wikimania in Frankfurt together with three fellow enthusiasts. We wrote articles about wiki's, Wikipedia and an interview with co-founder Jimmy Wales later that summer in the Periodiek, the glossy magazine of our student association (I mention this because I'm still very proud of our little magazine).

However, after this my interests shifted to other things. Wikipedia had become so popular that it was just too hard to keep up with all the developments, and after three years I also wasn't all that enthusiastic about the milestones anymore. Nowadays Wikipedia remains a minor interest to me, and I always enjoy it when a Wikipedia related article pops up in my RSS reader. My favorite source for this is Wikizine, an independent newsletter on what is happening at the Wikimedia projects. Since I just can't understand why there are only about 700 readers subscribed, I decided to do some advertising for them. If you're interested in Wikipedia, this is a valuable source to keep you informed.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home